Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Blood Red (POEM)

Blood Red

I built fortresses to protect you
brick by brick with sweat and tears I built a wall
I deemed you safe from injury
Each crack I filled again and again
I learned the smallest hole can pierce
And then I bled
Blood red my pain you revealed


I tried to freeze you out
warm and vibrant you still beat
No chill was strong enough to still your palpitation
Frozen almost to the center you still had essence
Snow and Ice is nothing compared to your "power"

The will to live thaws you again and again
Blood Red you survived


I tried again and again to give you away
Each time you came back a little wounded but alive
You grew, you prospered, you learned
Each time you became larger
There was no way to stunt your growth
Each trial only added to your beauty
Blood red with me you remained


I tried to kill you, ignore you, pretend you didn't exist
It never mattered you beat out the rhythm of life
Everything in me felt dead
but you beat on, play on, never letting me forget I live
Pain washed over me, then I grew numb
But you throbbed beat after beat
Blood red in me you sojourned


I want to change you, make you stronger, more resistant to pain
But You never change your cadence
Your metre and movement never waver
The pulse may slow or quicken but it plays the same song
I can never totally give up as long as you thump in my chest.



JenRid

1 comment:

  1. This poem is about how amazing my heart is. And how stubborn I am. No matter what I never seem to give up. My stubborn will and that heart of mine keeps me going. A lot of bad things happened to me that only made me a better person. I am proud of that.

    ReplyDelete