Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Beaten (POEM)

Beaten

I smile to hide what I don't want you to know,
I laugh to camouflage what I don't want to show.
I joke to distract from what I don't wish to reveal,
I do it all so you can never guess how I feel.

The more I laugh, the sadder I grow,
I laugh, I smile and watch my being go.
It's getting harder and harder to know,
What is real and what is show.

I stuff the feelings down until they won't stay in,
In weakness I cry and paint the facade on again.
And with a smile I sadly face the day,
 I Watch what I do, I watch what I say.

Trapped like a rat, this cage is mine,
And yet I smile and say I am fine.
I put myself in, I have no one to blame,
I made my own bed, I lie there in shame.

It's getting harder to smile, getting harder to laugh,
Getting harder to keep myself from tearing in half.
Why do I bother, I wonder what good it brings,
And can you tell me why this caged bird sings?

JenRid.

1 comment:

  1. I must really like cages. I keep putting myself in them. *Shakes my head* This poem was written about how I felt in my marriage... which ended. But that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete